Thursday, January 5, 2012

whoami

What is literacy?

Some will consider you illiterate if you have not traversed the collection of books they do consider 'literature.' Others only think of the word 'literacy' when a person has trouble translating printed words into spoken expressions. To me, it is more "Can you look at any page of text in your language and garnish meaning from it?" This is more a question of comprehension and vocabulary than merely knowing what sounds 'a' and 'b' make. Exceptions are obviously to be made for technical documents; I'm still not sure how a Wheatstone Bridge works (it is an electrical design that amplifies resistance changes), but Wheatstone is likely some place or person and this thing does some sort of bridging.

Digital literacy needs a good definition for a good discussion. It should obviously include such items as "Where's the On switch" and "What's a monitor?" Such manual skills are important fundamentals, as are application skills as discussed in class (Can you type up and print a one-page letter?), yet there is something more to 'literacy' than merely opening a book and pronouncing words correctly, or being able to state the current state of the weather.

This new skillset--well, it's not exactly a skillset. Skills fall under its auspices, but digital literacy is more the ability to get along well in a society built on computers and networks of information. How would YOU find the capital of Myanmar? What is today's news? What are all your friends up to? Do we write letters, author articles for publication, and pass notes in class, or do we send emails, publish blog posts, and send texts?

I personally consider myself to be properly computer literate. I can do just about anything technical you'd like from a text-based computer command interface, from setting up servers to doing Excel-like math on large datasets. I am good friends with Google, Facebook, Blogger, EBSCO, Gmail, SlashdotGithub, and even have a Gravatar. Given any computer program, I can usually start to figure out how to use it right away (with Google helping this process goes much faster :). I have in the past and will in the future assemble my own computer from commercially-available components (and, someday, my own not-so-commercially-available components).

Still, I'm not active on forums (anymore); I don't use Google+, Twitter, or other social media; I don't have the magical voodoo skills some acquire with such programs as Microsoft Office or Final Cut Pro or Photoshop (which still confuses me immensely; I learned on the Gimp); the Apple's interface style is unintuitive and confusing (I can argue this, though I appreciate the opposite sentiment); and I get quite frustrated with OohNewShiny web interfaces, as they run like molasses in January on most of the computers I own and ignore how I like doing things. My coworkers often speak of various technologies as The Way of The Future (in this case, Javascript+HTML5+CSS, which are used to describe web page appearance and functionality) and I scorn them--though they're probably right. I smile when I see a cruise liner's engine controls running a top-of-the-line control system using an interface from the late 80's--MWM has been around long enough and is simple enough it is stable enough for vital systems.

One interesting aspect of literacy that I have noted is the willingness and ability to educate others. I love to jump in any time and show someone how something is done, and I have noticed that most everyone I would consider "literate" is very much willing to do the same. This social/comfort aspect is perhaps one of the most important marks of literacy, as it is a quality that spans the spectrum.

In summation digital literacy includes several components (and perhaps many others):

  • Familiarity and capability with the basic physical entity of a computer
  • Knowing what can be done
  • Knowing how to do it (or at least how to find out how)
  • Accepting new things
  • Learning new things
I obviously only get partial credit on these. :)

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to point out that the class materials provide two separate prompts: "What do I know about the historical period and the digital concept assigned to me?" and "How digitally civilized am I?" This post used the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the whole. Literacy in the digital world definitely describes a learning process, and your knowledge and mastery of what can be done.

    On the topic of OhhNewShiny web interfaces, I must point out the incredibly improved web interface that BYU has just introduced for RouteY. It may only just balance out the negative changes that Unity introduced into your workstation, but in the realm of innovation BYU struck gold.

    I think I would add "The Ability to Innovate" to your list of literacy criteria. In our society, if a system (like logging into routeY) stays broken for too long, the organization that is responsible for it tends to be considered technologically illiterate. When they make changes for the better, my faith is restored in the admins of the system, regardless of the many bugs they introduced.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonathan, I immensely enjoyed this post, and I look forward to hearing more from you! I think you touched on a lot of excellent points about what it means to be digitally literate, and I think a key, KEY point that some don't think of at first is the "social/comfort aspect" that you mentioned. Those who are truly literate share their literacy with others and help them become literate as well. This is part of the "Connect" aspect of our course.

    Semi-unrelated thought: How important do you think new, sleek interfaces are? Does interface reflect overall quality?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interfaces are an interesting means of communicating to the user loads of information (a la ECON110). Quality is an important aspect of that communication, even if it is unintentional.

    If it's round and soft and attempts to be pleasant (think Blyph), I will trust it to offer a consistent (if simple) functionality with a simple interface. The word "Hipster" comes to mind: usually competent, but overly concerned with appearances and prone to awkward-to-me UI choices.

    Flashy, noisy sites and programs irritate me to no end and tell me that the experience will be painful, frustrating, or downright Not There.

    Mac interfaces are an interesting ball of wax as well. It's sleek and soft and 'cool'--which I instantly distrust as ignoring every vestige of intuition I am in possession of.

    Old, clunky interfaces depend on context. Generally, old systems do a small set of things very well. Were you to hand me a VAX110 or PDP-11, I would expect the interface to be a fairly normal mix of mostly useful and slightly buggy. On the cruise liner I saw running a 1980's interface, I trust it. Open-source software has a tendency to mature with age and become extremely reliable--and the design decision to use it indicates, to me, a great deal of reliability engineering in the underlying application.

    In short: to me, yes; to others, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete