Saturday, January 28, 2012

It's Baroquen!

Today I will be meeting with my History group (17th Century) to start preparing our presentation this coming Thursday. This last Thursday we decided to focus on the music of this time period; however, reflecting on it, I realize I know nothing. If asked who the great composers of this era were, I am presently as likely to guess Beethoven as Bach.

That's a pity, as I like both and know they're rather different.

This will be a document sharing my explorations:

  1. What is this word "Baroque" and why do we use it? Is it relevant?
  2. Which composers fall under this umbrella?


Baroque
I have often wondered what this word means. Some of my favorite music is Baroque, yet some of my least favorite architecture is as well. Turns out, according to Wikipedia at least, that "baroque" comes from the Portuguese "barroco," meaning misshapen clam. When I read that, I agreed whole-heartedly. The curves and detail work of the architecture is truly evoked by that image. Turns out the term was used pejoratively when referring to the music of the period; later it came into use for other areas of art.

It seems European artists realized they really did have a lot to work with (think rich, bored royalty) and that the possibilities were endless. Baroque refers to the hyper-ornamented style that shows up from about 1600 to about 1760.

Now my puns off of "baroque" and "broken" (e.g. "ba-roken") can take on a whole new spin... :)

Composers

Who, then, qualify as "Baroque?"
  • Bach
  • Handel
  • Pachelbel
  • Vivaldi
  • many others I hadn't heard of
Alas, it is time for the meeting. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment